Just as Alibaba opened the door to unbelievable fortune in the Arabian Nights- with one simple phrase- “Open Sesame”, you too can benefit from the distinguishing richness of the sesame seed, which is a treasure of nutrients.
Revered in alternative medicine as a healing oil since the Babylonians, it aides cardiovascular health, detoxifies body, fights ageing and strengthens bones. Cold-pressed sesame oil is a treasure of healthy fats, antioxidants and natural resistance. Sesame oil comes in two varieties- toasted and un-toasted. When sesame seeds are dry roasted prior to oil extraction, the oil is richer in flavor and darker in color. The other kind is the light golden variety, which has a milder flavor but a higher smoke point.
Sesame is packed with Nutrients
Nature has blessed Sesame oil with 3 really powerful compounds that are found nowhere else, namely – Sesamol, Sesamin and Sesamolin. Moreover, it is rich in omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids, and other essential vitamins and minerals. However, in order to enjoy the maximum benefits of this power-packed healthy oil, one should use cold pressed sesame oil over the processed, supermarket variety. Cold-pressed oils are produced by crushing/pressing oil seeds and fruits with heavy granite millstones or modern stainless steel presses. The process is done with low-level heat, to preserve the minerals, vitamins and essential fats in the oil. This process gives lower yield than modern methods but the oil produced is healthy and natural.
- The Vitamin E and Sesamol, a unique compound in sesame, have been found to have fantastic antioxidant properties
- Sesamin & sesamolin are cholesterol-lowering agents and protect the liver from oxidative damage
- Zinc strengthens bones
- Recent studies recommend sesame oil to Diabetics over any other oil.
- Copper soothes rheumatoid arthritis pain
- Calcium prevents osteoporosis, migraine and colon cancer
- Magnesium supports respiratory health.
Cardiovascular Benefits of Sesame Oil
- The poly-unsaturated fats in organic sesame oil restrains hypertension and blood pressure
- Sesamin, lowers blood pressure, reduces the formation and absorption of cholesterol- and so helps maintain cardiac health.
Beauty Benefits of Sesame Oil
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian system of medicine, acknowledges sesame oil as an important healing oil.
- Sesame oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which nourish and detoxify damaged skin and hair.
- Oil-pulling with sesame oil promotes oral hygiene and rids body of harmful toxins.
- Massage with Sesame oil for youthful skin as it counterbalances free-radicals, a major cause of aging.
- Apply sesame oil on sunburns, skin allergies, dandruff and eczema to benefit from it’s anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
Cooking with Sesame Oil
Derived from Sesame seeds, this oil has a distinct aroma and flavor that is slightly sweet and nutty. The virgin, cold-pressed variety is strong in flavor, and is almost essential in oriental cooking. You can use Sesame oil for sauteing vegetables, chicken and sea-food. Not particularly suited for frying, but you can sprinkle it over dishes, and salads before serving to add a lovely flavor profile. Still, cold-pressed sesame oil holds on at a higher smoking point than most other organic oils. This is due to the stabilizing properties of sesamin and sesamol that are naturally present in it. These compounds prevent sesame oil from going stale even when stored in the the open.
- Oil Pulling- Daily Detox Routine that You Should Start Immediately (giftsofgaia.wordpress.com)
- Sugar Snap Peas with Sesame Seed Dressing (whataboutthis.biz)
- Open Sesame! 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of This Super-Seed (healthimpactnews.com)
- Health Benefits: Sesame Seed Oil (organicseedsproducts.wordpress.com)
- Why SESAME OIL is called the Queen of oils?(Compiled) (fitnessgarden.wordpress.com)