While living life in the fast lane, our body often suffers from fatigue and grows weary, but that is no excuse to clock out for the rest of the day. Many of us turn to an Energy drink to help us boost our energy, and also to re-hydrate us during workouts or sports.
Most such energy or sports drinks available in the market contain similar ingredients that act as a temporary stimulant. An artificial stimulant is not real energy, and the boost they provide is short lived. Many experts also believe that these drinks have adverse physical and neurological effects.
Most such drinks have the following ingredients:
- Sugar – A common source of empty calories
- Caffeine – Increases heart rate, insomnia and dehydration
- Taurine – A nonessential amino acid to help focus and increase the blood flow to the heart. Long-term effects of Taurine remain unknown
- Artificial Colors
As an alternative to such synthetic energy supplements, why not try making some natural and healthy energy drinks at home?
Honey is a proven alternative to energy drinks. It contains high-levels of fructose and glucose that enter the blood stream gradually. It provides a much longer lasting energy boost, as well as, essential amino acids required for post workout recovery. It is a great, natural fuel for sports and is packed with plentiful nutrients and health benefits.
Follow the easy recipes listed below, to make your own rehydrating and nourishing energy drinks:
DIY Refreshing Fruit Energy Drink
- Mix 1/3 cup of Natural honey with 1/3 cup of unsweetened grapefruit, pomegranate or cherry juice
- Add 6 cups of water.
- For workouts and outdoor activities, add a pinch of salt
- Blend well and Refrigerate
DIY Antioxidant Herbal Tea Energy Drink
- Steep four bags of herbal/ green tea in two cups boiling water.
- Add five cups water and 1/3 cup honey
- Stir well and store in the refrigerator till ready to use.
There you go- follow these simple recipes to make a bottle of these delicious energy drinks and hit the gym for a full power work out.